Your new role
National Highways is recruiting an Engineer to join our Engineering Teams within our Operations Directorate in the South West. We are looking for an Engineer to join our Highways Improvement Team.
You will be undertaking the identification of asset needs and develop early solutions for the asset class in scope, while assuring adherence to defined asset policies and standards.
As a flexible working organisation, we offer this role from either our Bristol or Exeter offices. From time to time there will be a requirement to travel between our offices and those of our stakeholders and partners. Please note that the role may also require work during unsociable hours.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position.
What you’ll be leading on
- Ensuring the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity.
- Undertaking the identification and evaluation of asset data and needs in order to develop early solutions, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria for highways technology assets.
- Develop early solutions for improvements and/or renewals, including the compiling of relevant documents, evidence and options for value management, taking into account new techniques, materials, buildability, and costs.
- Monitoring the delivery of agreed early solutions and plans, liaising with the relevant teams to identify and/or rectify issues.
- Developing the technical briefs provided to the design organisation and managing the delivery of survey works for the improvement and renewal of assets.
To be successful
- Degree or HNC/HND in relevant discipline and appropriate experience, or equivalent
- Chartered/Incorporated status or working towards it and Member of a relevant Professional Organisation
- Strong knowledge of asset condition assessment and degradation modelling and understanding of the Value Management process or cost benefit analysis of schemes
- Knowledge of CDM 2015, Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) standards, Specification (MCDHW), and their application on the highways network
- Experience in Highways design, construction, and delivery methods and experience in working within budgets including the creation of a budget for scheme development.
A bit about us
Operations is at the heart of keeping the strategic road network moving and ensuring our customers get the best possible experience when using our roads.
We address over 39,000 customer enquiries every month, plan and deliver all maintenance activities on the network, drive efficiencies and improvements across our systems and roads, and respond to incidents across 4,500 miles of motorways and major A-roads that we manage. All to make sure National Highways customers have safer, smoother, and more reliable journeys.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference number #4130